Yep, that's what our last lecture was about. Mostly we talked about differences in life expectancy between different countries (or sometimes even between one state or city), infant and premature mortality and the most common reasons of death. Basically, when it comes to developing countries, the main killers are HIV, malaria and TB. On the other hand, in developed countries premature deaths occur as cancers, heart diseases, accidents, violence and so on.
So what about it? Well, I couldn't help thinking that maybe there's just to many of us here. Maybe the nature is making sure that certain amount of people are dying - one way or another. When people in developed countries have all the necessary resources to fight against communicable diseases, then they die because of non-communicable ones.
I'm not saying that we shouldn't try our best to save as many lives as possible, whether they are in developing or developed countries. Also I'm not underestimating the personal suffering that people have to go through every time someone near them dies. Because if I was, I wouldn't be human - every life counts.
But what I'm trying to say is that perhaps we shouldn't try to make human life any longer than it already is, at least here in the West. Because would it really be the best even for people themselves?
Ei kommentteja:
Lähetä kommentti