maanantai 27. syyskuuta 2010

Modules - Finally! ... and some disoriented stuff

Ay up everybody! Today we had a meeting with Head of the division of Social Work and Health Studies and there we finalized our modules that we're going to study here at DMU. The main problem was that all the modules (= courses) here cover all different age groups so we couldn't study for example only early education and family welfare as we'd do in our specializing studies back in Finland. However, we had some courses left in our curriculum that are not specializing ones so in the end there wasn't problem at all.

We're gonna study 3 different modules and two of them we know for certain. For the third one we have to get an additional acceptance from the module leader because it belongs to Health Care Studies whereas the other are from Social Work field. Our head of division didn't see any reason why it wouldn't be possible but she's going to let us know in a few days - let's keep our fingers crossed just in case!

So here are the two confirmed modules:

- Research and Ethics in Social Work field (theoretical aspect & an own research project that can actually be attached to our thesis in Finland if we want) 15 credits, starting on January

- Interprofessional Education (inter-relationships between Social work and other social services, practice placements on the field, portfolio of evidence) 15 credits, starting on January

On those modules we can focus our assessments to children and family welfare. They both also give us an opportunity to make comparison between Great Britain and Finland. I actually got some ideas for my thesis based on theses modules but at this point I'm going to keep these thoughts away from this blog... :) But the greatest thing is that on these modules we'll be working with all kinds of professions and organizations here and the studies we'll be very practical. And I have to say that these credits that we do here insists so much more work than they'd do in Finland... But I don't mind, I'm here to learn!

We would've been very interested in to do our Management studies here but because of the schedules it didn't work out. That module would've been running at the time as those two other modules ahead.

As I said, the third module (15 credits) is to be confirmed very soon. It's based on international questions within Social and Health Care field but I'll tell more about it when the final confirmation comes. The module is going to begin next week.

But a long story short, we're going to do 45 credits here. Of course it's worthwhile mentioning that we've already done 15 credits before we got here because we did our second practical period during summertime.

AND there's also lot's of extremely interesting volunteering projects going on and I'm definitely going to take part of one of them. But more about it later on...





Yesterday there was a Welcoming Event for the first year students. All the different divisions introduced themselves and there was lots of different performances, for example capoeira, music, etc.


This is just a pic that I took nearby our accommodation - a local elementary school's backyard.


More delicious stuff from the Leicester Market and all this £5,5. I also found out that there's a market for fresh fish and meat too from Tuesday to Friday. I have to check it out.


This is just a some kind of a proof that I didn't lie - there actually are swans on our back river.

Ei kommentteja: